Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2018 14:14:35 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: security/nss (as of -r480180) fails to build on powerpc64: error: incompatible pointer types passing 'int *' to parameter of type 'size_t *'

Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> writes:

> The following is on a powerpc64 machine (old PowerMac G5 so-called
> "Quad Core") running a personal build of head -r339076 that was
> built via devel/powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc and such (no gcc 4.2.1).
> The compiler is system-clang (so clang 6 as cc). [I experiment
> with more modern compilers and toolchains for some powerpc family
> members.]
>
> -r339076 predates the openssl update in head.
>
> The port build is via ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel .
>
> Note: size_t is unsigned long (64 bits) while int is
> 32 bits for powerpc64.
>
> I've no clue if this is supposed to work, be blocked as
> broken, or what. (I've been without access to the powerpc
> machines for some time and it is even longer since I'd
> built updated ports. So this might be a long-standing
> issue without my knowing it.)

It's a bug as the 4th argument being size_t predates FreeBSD. In FreeBSD base
-Werror is default but ports discourage it due to churn. In NSS -Werror was
enabled since 3.21 but only for Clang or GCC >= 4.8. For now, the plan is to
keep -Werror to avoid more facepalm situations.

Anyway, fixed in r481895. Thanks for reporting.