Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:42:54 +0400
From:      Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/116458: Logging problems with syslog and ipfw an 6.2.REL-p5

Remko Lodder wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  First of all thank you for using FreeBSD and taking the time to write
>  this report. However I do not think that this is a problem perse, did
>  you go and ask around on the ipfw@ mailinglist? They have very good
>  clue on the ipfw framework and might tell you what the problem is and
>  whether this should be fixed by using the PR system or whether it was
>  only you making a typo or something, this is important to not overload
>  the ticketing system with potentially things that are not problems but
>  user typo's (which ofcourse can occur, we all have that :-))

I'll repeat here a history.

We have a high load routers with ipfw. And a lot of log messages as a
result. We've patched em(4) driver and it use kernel threads (it's not a
main reason as I got reports other people saw a junk like us but
rarely). And we got a lot of junk in syslog from ipfw.

There is no junk at all after my patch was applied on one of our core
routers for a month.

--
Dixi.
Sem.