Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 18:58:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Eric Anderson <keric@websidestory.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2 -> 2.2.5 upgrade

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > Ok, I'm somewhat of a FreeBSD newbie (mostly Solaris) so forgive the
> > ineptness but I'm planning on doing a network upgrade of all OSs from
> > some SNAP 3.0's, but mostly 2.2.2's to 2.2.5 - is it simply as easy as
> > moving the current /usr/src/sys out of the way, and inserting the new
> > 2.2.5 sys and recompiling (while having made the appropriate changes in
> > the kernel config file)?
>
> You want to upgrade the binaries too.  Make it a complete affair.
>
> Just boot the 2.2.5 boot floppy, select upgrade, and follow the prompts.
>
> UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES UPGRADE ANY MACHINE ON ANY 3.0-SNAPS.  YOU WILL
> BREAK THEM IF YOU DO.  The mount() system call semantics were changed and
> if you downgrade them to 2.2.x you won't be able to mount your disks
> except from the appropriate fixit floppy.

So are we screwed with the SNAP versions as far as upgrades go?

And how does the upgrade from the boot disk affect any configuration
files (such as in /etc)?

 Eric Anderson                       Web Side Story * San Diego, CA
 <keric@websidestory.com>            <http://www.websidestory.com/>;
 Director of Network Operations