Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:22:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Applixware 5.0 on recent FreeBSD version

> I installed Applixware 5.0 (FreeBSD version) on a recent FreeBSD
> (4.4-PRERELEASE) machine but I'm getting

> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.3" not found

> when attempting to start applix.

> I thought it came up in the list before but couldn't find anything in
> the archive. Also, I'm pretty sure I had it running a while ago on an
> older FreeBSD version.
  ^^^^^
  ^^^^^

I suppose so :-)

IIUC, the library in question is normally found in /usr/lib/compat; for
instance, it is installed there whenever you make your world provided that you
have defined "COMPAT3X=      yes" in your /etc/make.conf. In this connection,
you may wish to take a look at /etc/defaults/make.conf.

BTW, the library sources are found in (wait for it)
/usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386 -- for the 386 arch.; a "make && make
install" there, followed by a ldconfig(8) (cf the "m" option) should do the
job.

HTH,
Salvo