Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:40:06 +0300
From:      Sergei Listvin <serg@tanigawa.spb.ru>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@innominate.de>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mobile phone to serial connection

Hello Thomas Graichen,
on Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 06:31:34PM +0000 you wrote:

> i am currently looking for somekind of a mobile phone which aollows
> me to use it as a modem via somekind of cable from the phone to a
> standard 9pin serial connector and if needed with cu on the serial
> port - does anyone here have any recomendations for some such phone
> and accessoirs ?

If you don't yet have a phone, you definitely need one with hardware modem
in it. Some vendors implement serial communications between mobile phone
and computer with software modem emulation. An example of this is Nokia
Data Suite for Nokia 3110 and 6110. (To  use your Nokia phone with Unix
go to http://gnokii.org.) But software modem emulation is hardware and OS
dependent and only good if you already have a phone without a modem.
Also be aware that phone may be connected to computer via special serialToPhone
cable or with PCMCIA card. In later case this card must be supported by
FreeBSD. So I would suggest to look for phone with hardware modem and serial
(NOT PCMCIA) interface.
As I use Nokia phone, I can't tell exactly what models have a modem, hope
someone else can tell you.

> (i tried several so far but did not get an AT&V
> working on any of them under FreeBSD)
As I said, if you see someone using mobile phone to connect to the internet,
it doesn't mean, you can use it with FreeBSD, because phone vendor may provide
software to emulate serial communication and AT commands. Without this
software (Windows-based of course) you can't use your phone as a modem.
But even if you got a phone with hardware modem, some AT commands may vary
or may not be implemented at all.

--
Sergei Listvin