Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:46:46 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@internationalschool.co.uk>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: makes you wonder...

Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Computer Shopper reviewed it a few months ago and it's been mentioned in
> a series about setting up commerce web sites, so they seem to be
> interested. I emailed the editor suggesting they put a copy on a cover
> CD, like they did with Linux a few years back, no response though.

Most editors won't budge unless they get an accomplished fact thrust
into their faces. We'll have to build the CD ourselves, then I'm sure
they'd be glad to do it.

A PPP script is a little tricky, because there are so mny variations in
ISP's, especially now that M$ has mucked up the picture with their own
ideas of how things should work.

How about if we focus on FreeBSD as a self-contained web development
system, loading Apache, Mozilla and emacs with HTML e-lisp stuff? HTML
doesn't take up much space, and if we were smart, we could run the whole
shebang off the CD without the HDD. And, of course, you _know_ what we
could do with the root window... ;) I would prefer Java to Perl, but I
haven't had enough time to sit down and dig into the JDK yet to
understand its ramifications. [More O'Reilly books coming in the
mail!!!]

Canned configuration:
	FreeBSD config'd to copy root filesystem into ramdisk
	XFree86 in 640x480x8bpp
	mouse selector script
	fvwm (for simplicity and configurability)
	Apache
	Mozilla
	xscreensaver
	neat _active_ root window program
	the FreeBSD website, including Handbook

An option, of course, would be to let them install this configuration
onto their HDD. That way, they could actually save programs they create
with the tools we give them. Now, if we could do PPP and actually
bootstrap them into DL the real FreeBSD onto their HDD... :))))

-> DSW