Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:04:32 -0400
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "'Vulpes Velox'" <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Explaining FreeBSD features

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:36:48 +0800
> Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Vulpes Velox wrote:
> >
> > > Ignorant useless users should be supported by commercial
> ventures,
> > > not community ones. They will just drag the community down with
> > > their weight if they don't help out.
> > >
> > This would be the real tough one.
> >
> > There should also be a way to write some kind of descripton for the
> > people between.
> >
> > > I found the handbook to be useful in this area.
> >
> > Yes, if you understand it. It is written be serious IT
> professionals
> > for serious IT professionals. Even a serious none IT
> professional has
> > problems understanding it.
> >
> > Our problem is that we all do not know the people who would
> speak the
> > language none IT professionals understand.
> >
> > The original writer sounds like being skilled enough to
> have serious
> > try on this one if he gets the information he needs for this.
>
> I also had too read up on various unix tutorials as well.

I would personally assume that anyone who has ventured seriously into
FreeBSD (I started with Linux for a week, then jumped right into FBSD
and now run an entire ISP with it) has had their head into several
books.

My opinion is that most who run FBSD, run it because they like it, enjoy
it and completely appreciate it's features, rock-solid reliability, and
excellent documentation (IMHO) and help networks. Most who use it to
this extent have no problem reading the books, as others have said
because they want/need to learn whats under the hood.

There have been times where I have been in a jam, and didn't RTFM before
making a post, but on the other hand, there have been times where I have
helped someone out on FBSD areas I had to research on my own time just
so I could familiarize myself with it to help them.

It's my belief that you must be serious to get a FBSD box running at
full tilt, tuned right out, but you need not be an expert to get one up
and running.

There's no way I would use a butter knife to cut down a tree (use
Windows for infrastructure), nor would I use a chainsaw to cut the
butter (use a full scale FBSD server to browse the web).

It's all in what you want and/or need. The docs are there. As it was
pointed out, you need not be a developer, but this is meant to be a
serious OS for serious people.

If one wants to learn the ways of FreeBSD, in reality, the handbook,
google and the lists are your friends. Most everyone I know who uses
FBSD document their learning and experiences, and post it on websites
for everyone to learn from (including myself). Sometimes it is clear cut
and dry, and other times (especially with new, unprecedented
procedures), you must piece-meal different peoples experiences into your
own.

My .02

Steve