Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:41:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Rick Hamell wrote:

#
# > And here is where we as a volunteer project need your help.  Pick
# > any part of the system, play around with it, tweak some knobs,
# > write up what you've learned and send it to us. :)
#
# 	I have been working on it. :) My problem is that I'm am still from

Great!

# the DOS world. I have a hard time thinking like a Unix person still,
# mostly because I don't know how to do so. Secondly, pretty much jumping in
# feet first I know I'm making mistakes that may cause problems down the
# road,

We've all been there.  I'm still there is many respects and I have
been using Unix for a long time.  The key is to not get discouraged.

# i.e. when I install a package, where should I download the file too?

I usually put mine in /usr/ports/packages/All.

# Does it matter?

Not really.  Though if you ever decide to build packages yourself
the default .mk files will put things in /usr/ports/packages/*.

# Where should I untar it too?

You don't need to untar it, pkgadd(1) will do that for your.
In fact, there are a whole host of package management tools
that make life alot easier.

# How much swap space is enough?

Enough for what?

# Those are the kinds of questions I have. I've read a few system
# administrator books. Mostly I learned to do regular backups and to make
# sure I have adequete power backup system. Is there a Zen for Unix
# Administrators? :)

Stored away in many thousands of Unix sysadmins heads, but not
on paper anywhere that I know of.  Though I've heard good things
about Greg Lehey's book.

#
#
# 						Rick