Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:45:05 -0500
From:      Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupdate xorg-server

Neal Hogan wrote:
> In light of Adam's comment and thinking about the comment he's
> responding to, I realize that I may have been rather obnoxious. I
> appreciate Adam setting that aside to give me and the list some of his
> time. I'm rather new to fBSD (obvious) and I've got my parent's
> machine on it, which is hundreds of miles away and they have put in
> requests that led me to upgrade their system, including ports (and
> when X gets messed up from a remote position, it can be frustrating).
> So, I apologize if my comments came across in such a way that annoyed
> you. Not being a dev (or anywhere close), I have little room to act
> that way.
>
> But, I wonder what the most efficient way is to update ports. I
> appreciate Adam's point about the fact that portupgrade (and
> portmanager and portmaster) are ports themselves and are going to not
> be as reliable as what is in base. However, the fBSD documentation on
> updating ports (i.e., the handbook) only suggests the above three as
> ways to update ports. Is there a way to update ports from a base app?
> Given that a basic setup will have quite a few ports (hundreds), I was
> wondering if there was another way to update all (including their
> dependencies), rather that a one-by-one *make update* or
> *portupgrade*. <http://www.lambdaserver.com>;
If you are asking for a failsafe method of doing this, I'm afraid there
isn't one totally issue free.  If you are going to restrict yourself to
known good fulling working apps, you should limit yourself to packages
not ports where possible.  This will insure you've pkg's that run
correctly under GENERIC for your release.  If you go to a stable or
current branch, it's expected you'll be able to take care of yourself to
some degree.  Base system tools for what you are talking about consists
of things like pkg_add and pkg_delete.  pkg_deinstall and the like are
not past of base system.  There are also loads of options under ports
man page.  If you haven't reviewed it, you should.  It does provide some
of the functionality of other port management tools as part of base
system.  Please don't misunderstand my earlier post however, you can
still easily run into dependency issues with any port tools so just
because the port make options include things like "depends" it doesn't
mean that you'll have 100% success rate.  Again, best chance of that is
sticking w/ packages at the expense of not running latest version of
software.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ports&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

Options like cd /usr/ports && make readmes aren't well known to most
newcomers to whom things like that would be the most benefit.

Something like portcheckout may help you a lot, just getting starting in
FBSD is much harder than actually maintaining a running system once
you're familiar with how things work.  #1 rule is of course RTFM, which
just leaves you with which M to actually FR.  That is often the hardest
part of getting started.  Best command to get started is man man just to
make sure you're using it effectively.  apropos also very important for
digging up clues if lost.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator