Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:11:33 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hit some FS/slice size limit?

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:09:25PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >I partitioned my Seagate 500 GB Sata drive  under the FreeBSD 7.1
> >sysinstall (booted from the install CD while having the drive attached to
> >USB on my notebook). When creating the filesystems I chose 472 G for the /
> >partition (wanted to put everything into one partition - yeah, I know, one
> >should
>
> no - it's actually the best choice - one partition+swap, or no swap on
> modern machines with many GB RAM.

Remember, "best" depends on cirsumstance and need.  It is definitely
not best for all.   But, it works well for some.

It is usually good to separate OS from services and data, but not always.
It is also often helpful to divide things in to manageable sized chunks,
but that is not always meaningful.

////jerry