Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:11:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        James Arthur <arfa@www.jado.org>, info@suse.de, webmaster@debian.org, faq-maintainer@redhat.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@slackware.com, info@calderasystems.com
Subject:   Re: SuSE Linux specifications

On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at 21:51:46 +0100, James Arthur wrote:
> Dear Linux Distributor,
>
> Since I started using Linux a few months ago, I have found it extremely
> difficult to work out which distribution is for me. There is a brief
> description on www.linux.org, but what I am really after is a direct
> comparison between distributions - perhaps in the form of a table. I cannot
> seem to find such a beast anywhere (although I have looked).
>
> What I am planning to do is to obtain specifications of the latest major
> Linux distributions (SuSE, RedHat, Debian, Slackware, Caldera, and the
> FreeBSD Distribution). I will then tabulate the results, so that a direct
> comparison of distributions can be obtained. The table will appear on my
> website so that other Linux newbies can choose the best distribution for
> themselves first time, rather than go through several distibutions until
> they find one they like.

Well, speaking for the FreeBSD distribution, I should say "FreeBSD
isn't Linux".  It's based on the 4.4BSD UNIX distribution and shares a
large amount of code with commercial UNIX.  But, like Linux, it's
free.

> I would like the specifications of the latest official version
> released (or the next revision if one is planned for within the next
> month or two).
> The information I require is as follows:
>
> * Distribution version and revision date

The current FreeBSD distribution is version 3.1, which was released in
February.  We don't have a date for 3.2, but it'll be in a few months.
This is approximately duration of the FreeBSD release cycle.

> * Supplied kernel

FreeBSD.  The release number defines the kernel.

> * Supported processors (and whether enhancements for MMX, P2/3, K6-2/3 etc
>   are directly supported)

FreeBSD supports all i386 architecture processors.  The kernel uses
some extensions, but I don't have an overview handy.  It also runs on
the DEC alpha processor.

Changing daily.  Check http://www.FreeBSD.org/

> * libc/glibc version

FreeBSD 3.1.  FreeBSD is a complete system.

> * C/C++ compiler version (and whether it is gnu or ecgs)

The FreeBSD C compiler is based on gcc 2.7.2.1 with a number of
modifications.  We've had trouble with 2.8, and we won't move to it
for compiling the system, though it's available in the Ports
Collection (see below)

> * Default shell (version number)

csh (FreeBSD 3.1).  Of course, this means nothing.  I personally use
bash, which is also supplied, as is just about any other open source
shell your heart may desire.

> * X Windows?

Yes.

> (and what version of XFree86)

XFree86 3.3.3.

> * Is KDE or GNOME supplied?

Yes, in the Ports Collection.

> * Setup utility (name and version)

/stand/sysinstall (FreeBSD 3.1).

> * Price (and if it is available for free download)

You can get a four CD-ROM set from Walnut Creek CDROM for $39.95, or
with an 1800 page book "The Complete FreeBSD" for $69.95.  It's also
available for free download from ftp.FreeBSD.org, the world's busiest
ftp server (3600 concurrent users, 800 GB/day transfers), which runs
FreeBSD on a single processor Pentium Pro.

> * Amount of supplied software (total amount in MB, and a few of the more
>   impressive items)

:-)  Quantity or quality?  We're having difficulty keeping to 4
CD-ROMs without duplication.  I really don't know what would impress
you, but I think you'd have difficulty finding anything that isn't
included in some form.

> * Support Options

- The FreeBSD-questions mailing list (to which you sent this
  message).  It has an excellent reputation for free, quality support.
- Check out http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for various commercial
  support options.

> * Other features that make your distribution stand out

Well, it's the original.  It has the world's most stable TCP/IP stack,
bar none.  It has a reputation for very high performance (see the FTP
site above).  There haven't been too many unbiased comparisons of
FreeBSD and Linux, in fact only one I can think of, at
http://advisor.gartner.com/n_inbox/hotcontent/hc_2121999_3.html.

> * Anything else you think should be mentioned

The FreeBSD project is a non-commercial operation, which, ironically,
distinguishes it from the Linux distributions I know (though I'm
prepared to be corrected on this point).  We do this in the interest
of good software, not to make money.  Nevertheless, as near as we can
tell, the FreeBSD installed base is about 10% of the Linux installed
base.  FreebSD is particularly popular in the ISP arena.

> I will, obviously, put links to respective websites along with any
> logos of your company (if I can find them).

Sure, put a link to http://www.FreeBSD.org/.

About the Ports Collection: this is a collection of over 2,000
different software packages.  Obviously, you can't install them all
(you'd need about 100 GB of storage), so the collection supplies
Makefiles and any patches needed to make the software compile and run
under FreeBSD.  To install one, you just change directory to the build
directory and type 'make install'.  The Ports Collection does the
rest, including finding the source files for you.  For more details,
take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/.

Greg