Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:21:43 -0500
From:      jmccsd@bellatlantic.net (John M Carini (jmccsd))
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can I use FREEBSD as a router for my network with only 1 IP address?

I have a small home LAN - 1 95 box, 1NT & 1 AS400

Mys ISP gives me a dynamically assigned IP address.

The AS400 requires a static IP - Igave it 192.168.0.1 & would like to
keep it there.

I would like the ability to TELNET to the AS400 from the net (for
instance) at 192.168.0.1 on the local network and ftp to the NT box at
192.168.0.2.

I have no experience with unix.

I have a small 386 with 8 meg that I could use to run freebsd & I have
many questions.

1. Can I do this kind of routing?

2. If so what functions within FREEBSD do I need to invoke?

3. Is it required that the box running FREEBSD also be connected to the
net using PPP?

4. Can teh FREEBSD box use an internal modem?

5. Is there some way to have the FREEBSD box automatically dial my ISP &
redial if the line drops?

6. Is there some way I can broadcast my dynamically assigned IP so that
it can be found and used for connection. (I have a product for 95 that
does this)

Can't believe you guys are here for free but I am very glad you are.

			THANKS IN ADVANCE   -   John Carini
						(201) 701-9141