Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2014 13:33:28 -0500
From:      Leif Pedersen <bilbo@hobbiton.org>
To:        Joe Parsons <jp4314@outlook.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: am I NOT hacked?

The vulnerability is contained by the process's memory space, since one
process cannot read another's memory by merely referencing it (although
with exec priv a process can inspect another ...doesn't apply here).

OpenSSH doesn't use OpenSSL, nor does su, so passwords aren't vulnerable
when typed into them. If your mail server uses the OpenSSL port/pkg and
password authentication, then passwords of users who logged in were
vulnerable and need to be changed. Those passwords may have subsequently
been used to log in so check their accounts for unwanted
.ssh/authorized_keys that an attacker may have dropped in for a back door.
If one of those passwords allows root access...consider tje system fully
compromised.