Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Dan Cojocar <dan@zeus.ubbcluj.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hp ze4560 thermal problem

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Dan Cojocar wrote:
> > You'll have to look at the ACPI spec if you want to decode the field
> > values.  In this case, the numbers are field widths and mean FAN is 1 bit,
> > FANL is 16 bits wide.  The spec won't tell you what FAN or FANL mean but
> > you can sometimes figure it out from the surrounding AML.  I looked at a
> > similar ASL dump and it appears the FAN and FANL values aren't referenced
> > elsewhere.  So your fan control needs to be done by something other than
> > ACPI.
> >
> > -Nate
>
>         I'm confused now because i defined in my asl _AC0, _AC1 and
> their corespondent _AL0 and _AL1, and Devices for FAN, and now i can
> change active status from -1 to 0 or 1.
>         I enabled debug and i see that my fan1 and fan2 are changing
> status from D3 to D0 when the temperature is bigger then AC0, but i'm
> not sure i defined correct temperatures for AC0 and AC1, because in my
> asl they were absent, and i defined AC0 at 70C and AC1 at 65C. I don't
> know if there values are correct, but now the fan is turned on at 65C
> and he gets more speed at 70C but it seems that the temperature
>  is very slow decreased, maybe i'm doing something wrong here :(
> 	You said that it's possible that my fan control is done by
> something other than ACPI, how can i establish who is responsible with
> my fans?

Please try not to top-post, it makes reading the message difficult.

You defined your own custom ACPI cooling objects in your ASL.  The BIOS
manufacturer did not.  Therefore, on other OS's that work with the stock
ASL (i.e. Windows), fan control is done some other way than through ACPI.
Perhaps it's done via SMM.  Do the fans ever come on while running with
the stock ASL?  Or, it's done with a custom driver via SMbus or by
directly poking the super I/O chip.  You know that "power/heat/hotkey"
custom app that comes with just about every laptop?  That's what it's
doing.  If the laptop was more ACPI-compliant, the fans would be defined
in your ASL and you wouldn't have to use a custom ASL.

As for your custom ASL, it sounds like you got things right.

-Nate