Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:35:38 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Vladimir Kravchuk <adm@smr.ru>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UP2000/DP264

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Vladimir Kravchuk wrote:
>
> > Feb 25 11:37:05 up2 /kernel: WARNING: 8192 bytes not available for
> > msgbuf in last cluster (32768 used)
> > !!!!!!!!!What does this warning mean?
>
> I would like to see the memory map for this machine. Please add '#defined
> DEBUG_CLUSTER' to the top of machdep.c to make it print out more
> information about the memory it uses. Unfortunately, this will be printed
> before the message buffer is initialised so you will have to transcribe
> the results by hand if you don't have a serial console.

Actually, this is because of a bug in alpha/machdep.c.  MSGBUF_SIZE is 32K
by default now, and the alpha machdep.c code assumes that anything other
than PAGE_SIZE is an allocation error.  I'm not sure what's right, I've been
tempted to comment out the printf.  It seems there are two different variables
in use for the same thing, but one is out of date.

Cheers,
-Peter