Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:23:10 +0300
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ghost prog for FreeBSD?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 03:08:03PM -0700, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:
> At 10:34 PM 9/10/00 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >
> >1. Create the slices / labels on the second disk.
> >2. Mount them under /mnt.
> >3. Use cpio(1) to copy the files from / to /mnt.
> >4. Use boot0cfg on the new disk to set up the boot loader on it.
> >5. Reboot into the new installation.
>
> Wouldn't a dd of the whole disk to another, same-sized disk, pretty
> much do the same thing though? Something to the order of
>
> dd if=/dev/wd0 of=/dev/wd1 bs=1024
>
> should do the trick, no?

Probably yes, but when I moved my FreeBSD 4.1-S installation to the
machine at work, I had my /, /var, /home and /usr partitions with
different sizes.  The disk that I installed BSD at home and configured
most of the details in it was 6 Gb, but the destination disk was a 9 Gb
disk.

I'm almost sure that using dd(1) will also be slower, on a relatively
empty partition, since cpio(1) will not copy those areas of the disk
that are not used for data.  That work is easier and a lot safer to do
with newfs anyway :-)

- giorgos