Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:13:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <ogautherot@freesurf.fr>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Broken pkgdb and ruby core dump...

Hi!

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1 with a number of updates (thanks in advance for
copying me on answers as I had to unsusbscribe to this list due to high
traffic).

After installing a package (I'm updating KDE and GNOME), I suddenly got the
error message:

[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_tree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 614 packages
found (-10 +77) (...)ruby18 in malloc(): error: allocation failed
Abort (core dumped)
#

I can confirm that the core is really dumped :-)

I get this message upon each (direct or indirect) invocation of pkgdb - the
number of packages to update varies though...

Is there a way to fix the database? I seem to have this problem on a regular
basis and could fix it so far... only by reinstalling the system! I suspect
there must be a "pkg fsck" somewhere... I can rebuild it by deleteing
/var/db/pkg and rebuild all the packages manually but I have more fun plans
than rerunning "make install clean" on 614 packages :-)

Thanks in advance
  Olivier