Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:46:04 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP d530 - no ACPI per default? thermal missing?

Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a rather strange problem with one of my machines:
>
> 1) The system comes up with ACPI disabled per default; i.e. from the
> loader menu the default entry starts up with ACPI turned off. Only
> when I manually select "start with ACPI enabled" from the loader-menu
> I get ACPI enabled, i.e. acpi.ko loaded.
>
> Sure enough when I set "acpi_load="YES"" in /boot/loader.conf I can
> force ACPI to be loaded but I wonder why doesn't this box come up with
> ACPI turned on like almost all recent machines?

I just replied to your old message separately.  It looks like acpi isn't
even being loaded, not that a quirk is disabling it.  Since that has
nothing to do with acpi, you should check your loader settings.  Is your
/boot/loader new enough?  Perhaps this is a failure in upgrading from 4.x?

> 2) When running with ACPI enabled I noticed that the output of "sysctl
> -a" doesn't show anything about the "thermal"-part of ACPI. Is this
> OK? Shouldn't it be there once ACPI is enabled=

That is normal for systems that don't export thermal info to ACPI.  In
this case, your BIOS should handle the fan.

--
Nate