Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:04:45 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix It CD, bsdlabel, and /dev?

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 12:05:13 -0700, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>
>> Next I used bsdlabel
>> and created 500M a: partitions on two of the drives (ad6 & ad8).
>>
>                     ^
> There is no colon after the partition letter. The colon
> is used to refer (or change) to the 1st DOS diskette drive. :-)

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I showed it as "a:" as that's how
bsdlabel reports it when displaying the label 'bsdlabel ad6' for example.

>> However /dev/ad6s1a and /dev/ad8s1a do not exist. I do have entries such
>> as /dev/ad6a and/dev/ad8a but gmirror doesn't like those. What must I do
>> the get them to show after I've labeled?
>>

> If you have /dev/ad[68]a, it indicates that you haven't created a
> slice on those disks, instead you created one partition (a) on
> each of the disks.

I think this was part of my problem.  For example, I did 'bsdlabel ad6'
instead of 'bsdlabel ad6s1'.  Now I have entries such as /dev/ad6s1a and
/dev/ad8s1a after using 'bsdlabel -e <dev>'.

However now I use 'gmirror label root /dev/ad[68]s1a' as in the guide.
No error is reported at the command line but /dev/mirror/root is not
created either.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Drew

--