Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:41:25 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Threads stuff - reality check..

I'd hate to ruin a good pie-in-the-sky session on the design of the killer
threads system and all, but I kinda wonder if we're aiming too hight to start
with?

Wouldn't it be better to put the pieces that we already have together and
make something in time for 4.0 that runs with better concurrency than we
have now?  ie: perhaps based on Richard's native linuxthreads port?

Most of the pieces are there, but it needs work to tidy up the loose ends
and bring it up to date, and probably some debugging to get it to work
properly. There isn't a chance in hell that the Ultimate Threads are going
to be ready for 4.0, but we have got a pretty good shot at doing an
intermediate version that's at least comparable to what Linux does.  Things
like squid etc really hurt without threads with blocking support, and it
will be a damn shame to miss the opportunity to have an alternative to
uthreads in 4.0.  Most of the work is already done after all.  It doesn't
take much to get the kit from http://lt.tar.com/ to compile and
pretty much work.

Many of the primatives and infrastructure would be *directly* applicable to the
new threads - eg: reentrancy support in libc etc.

Cheers,
-Peter