Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:22:40 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Cleyton Agapito <cra@kftec.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ext3 mount (safe?)

Cleyton Agapito <cra@kftec.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>     I read in list that FBSD doesn=B4t support ext3 filesystems, but it
> can be mounted with ext2fs. It=B4s safe mount in write mode? I=B4m afraid=
 of
> lost same data of journal and crash my filesystem (I lose once in
> Linux).

If the filesystem is unmounted cleanly each time, you won't lose anything.
The journal really comes into play in the event of a system crash.  If
Linux crashes, make sure to boot back into Linux so the filesystem can
be recovered using the journal.

>     I have WXP (for my sister, of course), Linux and FBSD 5.2-RELEASE. I
> mount the ext3 with ext2fs(ro) and msdosfs(rw); since, I ever get boot
> warnings messages of umount not properly in all my slices and the
> shutdown give 2 buffers that don=B4t sync (I think), samething like 13 13
> 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2, what I did wrong?

I seem to remember this bug, I believe it was fixed in 5.2.1.

The workaround is to manually unmount the filesystem prior to shutting down,
but you should really update to 5.2.1.

--=20
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies