Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 20:48:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Boyd Faulkner <faulkner@mpd.tandem.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>, faulkner@devnull.mpd.tandem.com, ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Where are all the database weenies when you need them? :-)

On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Boyd Faulkner wrote:

> It appears you are correct.  msql is Minerva's choice for backend and was
> developed for that purpose.  Hence the picture.  My mistake.
>
> Boyd
> >
> > I was under the impression that Minerva sat on top of multiple databases
> > as a sort of pan-SQL solution.
> >
> > 					Jordan

> > > I though msql WAS Minerva.  Her picture is on the manual.  Amazing likeness.
> > >
> > > Boyd

from the Catalog of Free Databases:

name:		mSQL (Mini SQL)
version:	1.0.2
interfaces:	C, ESL, Tcl, Perl, Python, NextSTEP adapter, Windows (WinSOCK)
access methods: Flat data with external primary key mapped into virtual
		address space of server process.
multiuser:	yes (25 simultaneous connections)
transactions:	no
distributed:	no
query language: SQL
limits:		none
robustness:	Pretty good - getting better all the time
		supports a significant subset of the ANSI SQL specification
		(including joins, ORDERing, DISTINCT, NULL handling, etc).
		It is a single proces engine and doesn't use vast amounts of
		system resources as other engines can.	It supports
		client server operations over TCP/IP networks and provides
		quite reasonable performance.  As an example, on a clunky old
		25mhz 386 running Linux (one of the supported platforms) a
		sustained rate of 67 inserts per second was achieved
		during the insertion of 100,000 table entries.
discussion:	msql-list-request@Bond.edu.au
ports:		Supported under Linux, SunOS, Solaris, Ultrix, FreeBSD 2
		Known to work under NeXT, Irix, HP-UX, OSF/1, Sequent,
		SVR4.2, SCO, AIX
restrictions:	?
author:		David Hughes <Bambi@Bond.edu.au>
how to get:	ftp pub/Minerva/msql/ from Bond.edu.au
updated:	1995/01/18

The rest of this, I think, is available on idiom.com.  Neat listing.

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!