Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 09:57:24 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP

Hi,

I've taken the month of December off, and hope to apply much of it to SMP work.
I'd like to attack the following:

 1: fix any true bugs that have crept in, particularily those preventing anyone
    from running a specific hardware setup.

 2: finish my 1st stage lock-pushdown.  I think I'm only a bug or 2 from
getting
    this to run...

 3: begin the design of "the real thing".  My current lock-pushdown attempts
    to co-exist with the splxxx paradigm.  I'm pretty much convinced at this
    point that the work I've done in this area is only useful to prove it
    ain't gonna' cut it.  We need to design IN DETAIL a shift to a mutex based
    kernel.  One obvious question is whether we move both UP and SMP that
    direction, or just SMP.  There are many,many other questions to be
answered.
    It would be nice if we could progress on this issue in a serious manner,
    getting a design wrapped up b4 I have to go back to my real job...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by