Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:16:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen), jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mutexes and semaphores

On behalf of Greg Lehey, whose server hates primenet, Alfred P is
attributed to have written:
> * Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> [000926 20:34] wrote:
> > On Monday, 25 September 2000 at 14:38:54 -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >
> > > We should be coding and discussing existing problems with making the
> > > kernel MPsafe instead of what me *might* come across along the road.
> >
> > I certainly think that at the moment we should be thinking about
> > structure rather than details.
>
> I think we've been doing that for two years already and it hasn't
> bought us squat.

Don't fabricate, Alfred.  The SMP code firwst existed as patches
by Jack Vogel, then of Sun Microsystems, against the October 27
1995 source tree.  The current SMP code is dervied from patches
(very minor ones) I did to bring Jack's work up to date in 1996,
and a lot of work by a lot of other people, starting with Peter.

So don't say it's been two years when it's really been five.

Thanks,

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---