Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:35:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   threaded python seg faults?

For the last couple of days I've been trying to build python 2 from
the ports tree without success.  I updated my sources a couple of time
and rebuilt the kernel and world with no effect.

The problem seems to have appeared in the last couple of days and
seems to happen while loading libc_r.so.4 - Is anyone else seeing
this, or have any suggestion what I might be doing wrong?

Further playing around get it working with WITHOUT_THREADS defined, so
the problem seems to point at the threaded libc - which I've rebuilt
several time in the last couple of days.

thanks!
dave

Here's what gdb shows me:

juneau# gdb python
GNU gdb 4.18
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/ports/lang/python/work/Python-2.0/python

0x28383ec6 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
(gdb) bt
#0  0x28383ec6 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#1  0x80bb5b0 in __register_frame_info ()
#2  0x2834713a in _init () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#3  0x28343fe5 in _init () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4
#4  0x2815086c in _rtld () from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
juneau#

The system is a dual PIII-600 w/512M RAM if that helps...

--
Dave Cornejo @ Dogwood Media, Fremont, California
  "There aren't any monkeys chasing us..." - Xochi