Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:29:26 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Color ls problems

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:12:13PM -0700, Trevin Chow wrote:
> I'm using this function (as suggested by someone on the list awhile ago) to
> display a colorized "ls":
>
> function ls
> {
>    command ls -FG ${1+"$@"};
> }
>

> This function is located in my /etc/bashrc file.
>
> For some reason, it's not showing up colorized ls listings with my TERM set
> to vt100.
> Oddly, if I set it to "linux" it works... What's going on here?

First... that function is absolutely ridiculous. Simply create an alias
in the bashrc file, of the following form:

	alias ls="ls -F"

Second... vt100 is monochrome. If you're in a console, set the TERM
variable to cons25 (assuming your using syscons). If you are running an
xterm, the proper type is xterm-color.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx