Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Chris Strzelczyk <stenchmaster@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making Mozilla like java????

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Chris Strzelczyk wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>     I am just about to rip my hair out on this one.  I have seem many
> submissions to mailing lists but zero replies about this.  Whenever I
> start Mozilla I get this message:
>
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> [/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> Undefined symbol "*libintl_dgettext*"]
>
> Java does not work with my freebsd-native configuration.  Here's what I have installed:
>
> FreeBSD-4.6-release
> Mozilla-1.0rc3  from /usr/ports/www/mozilla
> jdk-1.3.1p7         Java Development Kit 1.3 from /usr/ports/java/jdk13
>
> Everything installs fine.
>
> My Mozilla works just fine but not with java.  I have tried to compile gettext by itself
> and that didn't work.  I have also tried to link libjavaplugin_oji.so manually and that
> didn't work either.
>

> Thanks for any help
> -cs

I have yet (as well, grrrr) to get java/jvm/jdk working on my install of
Mozilla too!  Is there some problem with Linux vs. Source-installed
versions of both?  Why does www.sun.com lock down this procedure with
registration -and- hence, why can't www.freebsd.org host a package -or-
will mozilla ever ship their code with "./configure" or Makefile option to
include jvm natively?

Hope I'm not opening a can of java on this topic ;-)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder