Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:23:53 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to fix a Bad Mistake

	Thanks to both the people who responded, I was able to
repair the problem which turned out to be corrupted tk80 and tk83
distributions.

	The next attempt to install expect went much farther but
still failed.  I went to /usr/ports/lang/expect, did a make clean
and even a make distclean so it pulled in the expect distribution
file from the network.

	I then did a make and everything looked nice for quite a
while.

===>  Extracting for expect-5.32.1
>> Checksum OK for expect.tar.gz.
===>   expect-5.32.1 depends on shared library: tk83.1 - not found
===>    Verifying install for tk83.1 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/tk83
===>  Extracting for tk-8.3.3
>> Checksum OK for tk8.3.3.tar.gz.
===>   tk-8.3.3 depends on shared library: tcl83.1 - found
===>   tk-8.3.3 depends on shared library: X11.6 - not found
===>    Verifying install for X11.6 in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
     >> No directory for X11.6.  Skipping..

	That is probably the beginning of the end right there,
but the process went on for some time more until I started
getting lots of errors like:

/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/tk83/work/tk8.3.3/unix/../generic/tk3d.c:108:
structure has no member named `display'

	That's usually a very bad sign.:-)  I do not want X on
this system, but pieces of it ended up on here and some
directories got deleted or otherwise chewed up between the crash
that stopped the original installation and my bungling before I
learned about proper ways to install and delete packages.

	Can expect run without X in this distribution?  Or have I
got the autoconfigure script confused because there is some X
stuff sitting around that shouldn't be here unless I am really
running X windows?

	If I need X to install expect, will the version of expect
I get run in normal command line mode?

	We run tons of scripts around here and expect is like a
right hand.

Martin McCormick