Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:18:38 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Arthur Mesh <arthurmesh@gmail.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Mark Murray <markm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org, "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r239598 - head/etc/rc.d

On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 15:57 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> The attached patch simplifies the script quite a bit, and restores the
> traditional order of running the "best effort" entropy first. I'm
> interested in what others think about this. (Note, the patch is easier
> to understand if you apply it and look at the resulting file.)

I have a patchset somewhere that added the ability to supply an
alternate command to generate "best effort" entropy.  The reason is that
the existing code on an embedded system with no realtime clock hardware
generates a sequence that sometimes differs by two full bytes from one
boot to the next.  Often it's identical.  Adding insult is the fact that
the existing sequence takes about 4-5 seconds on that platform.

There just isn't much entropy available there, but I came up with a
command sequence that ran in about a second and generated more
differences on each boot.

I'm still interested in the ability to override the default best effort
generator with something else via entries in rc.conf; I'm not picky
about the mechanism for doing so.  If there's any interest, I'll try to
find that old patch I had for it (which I never submitted for fear of
starting a "that's not good enough entropy" flame war).

-- Ian