Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:46:16 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USFS (User Space File System)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, David E. Cross wrote:

> I am looking at a project that will require a user based process to interact
> with the system as if  it were a filesystem.  The traditional way I have seen
[...]
> I have a number of questions on more specific ideas (like caching, inode/vnode
> interaction, etc).  But I am just feeling arround for what people think
> about this.  Any ideas/comments?

	That type of file system is very useful for simple tasks. A while
ago I'm experementing with 'IPX network browser' which shows NetWare
servers as directories and allows to go down to see volumes, print queues
etc.

	You probably should look at Coda file system. It have a kernel
part which interacts with 'Venus' - a user-land daemon. Coda folks done a
great job discovering many weird cases in such model.

	It would be nice if we're have something like 'userfs' (or
'daemonfs') with unified interface and mount command like this:

	# mount_user /mydaemon /mountpoint

	so, all that I need to create a new file system is to write
'mydaemon' program.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/