Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:46:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
To:        Mike Galvez <mrg8n@virginia.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS not working (now it is :-)

--- Mike Galvez <mrg8n@virginia.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:19:01PM -0800, W. J. Williams wrote:
> > see bottom..
> > > Try adding a test user with: pw useradd -Y -y /var/yp/master.passwd
> > > testuser
> > >
> > > Try logging into the master with the new user. Success? Try the
> client.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > 	-Mike
> > >

> > ***************************************
> >
> > ok, thx. tried that...no dice...after adding the user with pw...I had
> > do a passwd testuser and add a password.  could not log client though.
> > am trying to open a ssh connection from master to client....any other
> > ideas?
>
> Was that passwd or yppasswd? After the yppasswd, you will need to run
> make in /var/yp to propagate the change.

Hi Mike, thx for helping...seems it works now..here's what I did/learned.

I mirrored the rc.conf of all of my clients in my lab AND "touched" all
master.passwd files with vipw instead of vi  I can log into all of them
now with the testuser account. Some more things I learned (correct me if I
am wrong)

1.  always use vipw if you have to mess with master.passwd
2.  the order of what you call in rc.conf is important (I still don't know
what f**** order that is supposed to be, but it seemed to make a
difference.
3. after changing "mapped" files, you need to manually run "make
XXXX=/etc/XXX nisdomain" to udpate the files.

4.  per your email below...I made the account using your string, and then
did a "passwd testuser" to add a password.  should i have used yppassword?

hope someone else is gaining from this as well...

thx

Will

=====
Will Williams