Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:51:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>
Cc:        Massimo De Giorgi <madg66@libero.it>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: R: Max Memory question

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Joel Bjork mumbled:

> Yes, it's a pentium II or III with plenty of L2-cache, up to 2MB I think,
> depending on how much you are willing to pay.

The new 700Mhz Pentium III Xeon processors have up to 2MB of cache
within the core package. Nice low latency cache...mmmm... but yes, you
have to pay through the nose for each one.

Also, there are Coppermine-based Xeon's that only have 256K of on-die
L2 cache (in the same configuration as the Pentium III Coppermine
xxx-EB processors), but no more. This allows Intel to ramp up
processor speed over cache for graphics workstations.

> I suspect they use a controlbit or something, I'm not taking any bets on it
> but that's my guess.

First... 32GB should have been 64GB (another off-by-one error), but
according to Intel's specs on the Xeon, it can cache up to 64GB of
memory because of the 36-bit memory addressing scheme.

Realistically, it's the chipset that will define the maximum memory
that the machine can support. Like the i840 (which supports up to
two Pentium III or Pentium II/III Xeon processors) with 4 Rambus RIMMs
can support up to 1GB of RDRAM. Higher-end chipsets can support
anywhere from 4GB of RAM up to 16GB of RAM.

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org