Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:27:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing to Win2K share printer with apsfilter via samba fails

On 10 Nov 2002, Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Printer entry created by apsfilter setup in /etc/printcap:
> # APS1_BEGIN:printer1
> # - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
> # - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
> hp845c|ijs/DESKJET_845;r=600x300;q=high;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
>     :lp=/dev/null:\
>     :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp845c:\
>     :lf=/var/spool/lpd/hp845c/log:\
>     :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp845c/acct:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:
> # APS1_END - don't delete this
> #

That if= line says that every time you try to print through this
printer, the input is to be filtered by apsfilter.  Since something
is apparently wrong with apsfilter, you will not be able to print with
this printcap entry.

> # tail /var/spool/lpd/hp845c/log
> apsfilter: The configuration file
> /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/hp845c/apsfilterrc
> apsfilter: is missing. Please run SETUP.

Okay.  So what happens when you run SETUP?

> But this file DOES exist:
>
> # more /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/hp845c/apsfilterrc

Possibly a permissions problem?

> That's failed big time. I'll try printing with lpr:
>
> # lpr -Php845c test

Won't work--you're just sending more stuff through the same failing
input filter.

I suggested in an earlier response that it would be good to get basic
text printing working before trying one of the "big filter" packages
like apsfilter.  I think I even posted a printcap entry that would
work.  What happens when you try that?