Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:05:46 -0800
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: com1 incorrectly associated with ttyd1, com2 with ttyd0

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:58:04PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> It's not clear that disabling in the BIOS should disable for all OSes.

What?  That's a fairly weird interpretation.  If I want to disable inside a
given OS, I do that inside the OS.  If I want to disable for _ALL_ OSes,
then I disable in the BIOS.  What reasonable logic can argue otherwise?

> Don't know.  I avoid ACPI if possible :-).  I suspect that FreeBSD can see
> ACPI tables but not all BIOS tables, so any soft disabling in the BIOS gets
> lost.

Can you really use everything without ACPI?  What is lost by disabling ACPI?
Don't you lose power-down support at the least?
(I did look for a FAQ on ACPI and found darn little)

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek