Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:53:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fnd cause "panic: page fault"

--------------enig4DCA513771AAD9C6A0F0CE09

On 02/08/2010 05:59, n dhert wrote:
> Sometimes my FreeBSD8.0-p4 machine does an automatic reboot after
> panic: page fault. (Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode)
> It's at random times.
> What in general can be the cause of that?
> Is it always due to hardware memory errors?

This is very commonly an indication of hardware problems.  Usually
memory gone bad.  Running memtest86 may help you confirm if you do have
bad RAM.  Or take out your RAM by halves and see if you can identify a
bad stick.

> What else can be a cause, how to find out ?
> I have output in /var/crash but don't understand very much of it
> and don't know where to look to find the cause.
> please help ..

The problem can be due to other causes -- but signal 12 =3D=3D SIGSYS
meaning "non existent system call invoked": unless you're a kernel
developer, that's quite hard to achieve without bad hardware.

	Cheers,

	Matthew