Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:54:52 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [heads up] axing AppleTalk and IPX/SPX

Am 28.10.2013 um 13:42 schrieb Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>:

>  The plan is two axe two old networking protocols from FreeBSD head/,
> meaning that FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE, available in couple of years would
> be shipped without them.
>=20
> 1) AppleTalk
>=20
>   Last time claimed to be supported by vendor in 2007[1]. In practice
>   had very little use since 90th.
>   Discontinued by major routing equipment vendors since 2009[2].

Since Apple has now even deprecated AFP (the file sharing protocol =
implemented by netatalk, among others), it=92s time to let go.

There=92s a thriving historic enthusiast community around older Macs and =
Apple IIs, and I can report that FreeBSD 4 (including then-current =
versions of netatalk and for those who care, macipgw) works just fine in =
VirtualBox, on FreeBSD 9-stable. Newer FreeBSD versions will likely work =
as well. Since AppleTalk (DDP and the layer 3 protocols on top of it) =
were originally tuned for LocalTalk and it=92s 230.4 kbps rate, running =
a virtualized OS on even very modest hardware will likely incur no =
performance penalty, so just shove a VM onto any old box.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811