Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:10:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.Mk error

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > .include <bsd.port.post.mk>
>
> There's no corresponding .pre.mk, so you probably removed it in your
> local changes.  Just s/post.// unless you really need the pre/post.mk.

Thanks, Kris. I appreciate the help.
I also changed the USE_PYTHON as Sam suggested.

Next question:

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard calls for /var/local to be used as a
place for /usr/local-based applications to put their site-specific
growable data [1], so in our software we default to
/var/local/lib/<appname> for a filesystem-based document store + RDF
database that users have the option of creating, if they don't want to
use an existing DBMS that they might have on their system. The
directory is created at install time if it doesn't exist.

In the FreeBSD port, I can make the directory be whatever I want,
so I am trying to follow FreeBSD's hier(7) guidelines.
hier(7) does not say anything about a /var/local, and the Porters
Handbook makes it sound like I should put as much as I can under
${PREFIX}, so I'm not sure what directory to use.

Suggestions?

Thanks
-Mike

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY
    (/var/local is mentioned under Requirements, and
     /var/local/lib is a reasonable equivalent of /var/lib
     for /usr/local-based applications)