Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 05:21:01 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken packages in FreeBSD? -- KDE 2?, Gnome?

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

Gan Starling <MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Does the FreeBSD package system admit of known broken packages? NetBSD,
> it would seem, does not. Are there any converts there from NetBSD to
> FreeBSD who are able to tell me if the package system for FreeBSD is
> more honest about its degree of brokenness than is the package system
> for NetBSD?

Packaging systems do not have human-like characteristics, such as 'honesty'.
They either work, and help you install software in a way or another, or they
are broken and make life hard to their users.  From that you are writing
below, NetBSD's packaging system *does* work.  You actually managed to inst=
all
KDE2.  After the installation part finishes there are only two types of thi=
ngs
that can go wrong:

o   Configuration errors.

    These are the user's fault (or the developers' fault for not properly
    documenting their software).  The lack or abundance of documentation is=
 of
    course something that might greatly influence this, but that's another
    story.  If you, as a user, can not find adequate documentation for sett=
ing
    up the program, it certainly is *not* NetBSD's fault.

o   Bugs

    Programs are bound to have bugs.  Annoying as they might be, they're
    always there.  Glitches that prevent programs from working the way their
    documentation says that they should.  Usually can be tracked down and
    reported to the developers.  This is the user's responsibility to do.=
=20
    What the developers do after a bug report varies, depending on many
    factors.  Open source systems (like NetBSD) are said to be among the on=
es
    whose developers are very supportive of their product.  Provided you, as
    the user, can prove that the bug is reproducible, and is *indeed* a Net=
BSD
    bug and not a bug in a third-party application; in which case, the
    developers of the third-party application are the ones you should conta=
ct.

To make a long story short, what makes you sure that it was a bug of the
NetBSD packaging system that bit you?  Are you sure you did your homework
tracking the bugs first?

> Do not any trolls answer, please. I only want facts. What graphical
> desktop TOTALLY works on FreeBSD? If there is a full-featured graphical
> desktop that TOTALLY works on FreeBSD, I would be convinced to switch
> away from NetBSD. If there is not any such, then I'll have to look into
> Linux.

As if KDE bugs that are triggered on your Linux setup will somehow magically
manage to autocorrect themselves.  Oh, please!
=20
-giorgos

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr--