Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 09:02:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Make world

> Personally, I feel that the "make" process is far from adequate.
> IMHO, I should be able to doo all of the following:

The entire world target (along with most of the other targets in
/usr/src/Makefile) is something that's just mutated along the way
since 1.0 days.  It's not clean, it rebuilds a number of things
gratuitiously (I think at one point we were rebuilding libc 3 times!! :-)
and with each passing month it just gets more and more hacked as
people add more special cases in.

You want to embark on a program of Makefile reform, be my guest!
If you can actually bring some sanity to the entire build process
then I will personally hire the girl to kiss you! :-)
[send me a private note if you've some other preference.. :-)]

						Jordan