Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 01:09:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, dswartz@druber.com, dg@root.com, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

> > The needed amount of physical memory is best judged by paging activity,
> > but again, the system doesn't tell you directly.
>
> Perhaps I'm confused, then... Doesn't vmstat tell you paging activity?
> Granted, it doesn't tell you whether it's paging to get rid of unused
> pages, or whether it's paging to free up needed memory, but at least
> it's a start.

It doesn't quantify the amount of paging that is excessive.  How does
one judge that a certain amount of paging is too much?  The work would
be to quantify and interpret the raw status that the system provides.
It is similar to the difference between "understanding" and "being
able to design."

I suggest that this would be a good project, but creating a reliable
measure of system paging load where a measurement of excessive
paging is translated into an understandable and accurage judgement
is interesting, and the information is not provided directly by the
system.  It would have to be calculated somehow.

John