Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:43:37 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        Feisal Umar <afu@webcraft99.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re-Booting new -STABLE Kernel: Failure To Mount Root ..  even  GENERIC

Juha Saarinen wrote:

> The documentation is convoluted, but if I understand it right
> you do:
>
> make buildworld
> edit the kernel config file
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> make installworld
> mergemaster
>
> ... and so forth. Then you reboot. This sequence works for me, but if it
> isn't correct, I'd like to know.

Warner's instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING have a boot to single user
mode between the installkernel and the installworld. He also states
this may not be necessary. I have 3 different FreeBSD machines that
are running 4-stable and the only thing that doesn't work well, is
doing all of this from an xterm on the computer being upgraded. KDE
will sometimes cause hang in perhaps 1 out of 6 or 7 tries. The
frequency could be less often than that.

I have a shell script that does everything from the cvsup to the
installworld. It builds a log with a date timestamp for each step. I
don't run mergemaster from the ssh session. When the script finishes,
I tail all 4 make log files and if they finished properly, I log off
and walk down to the console and do the mergemaster and reboot.

Kent

> --
> Regards,
>
> Juha
>
> PGP fingerprint:
> B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544
>
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Feisal Umar wrote:
>
> > Juha,
> >
> > Perhaps the list is tired of this - but I cant help wondering:
> >
> > Isnt  the recommended way is to re-boot with the NEW kernel first, before
> > building the userland tools ?
> > Apologies if I trip myself on this

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA