Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:39:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:29:22PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> Is there away to install JDK 1.3+ without X?

Not from the port.  It needs to be built on a machine with X, but once
you've done that you can create a package and move it to other machines
you have without X.  The SCSL doesn't stop you doing this internally,
you just can't distribute the binary to others.

> I tried to install it on 4.4 but it wanted to install X and asked me
> lot of quistions about it. I also needed to download two compressed
> files by hand (normal). Didn't hear anything about needing linux-jdk
> due.

Think compiler, think bootstrapping.  Trust me, you need the linux-jdk13
port installed.  If you don't the port build will die and complain about
not bootstrapping with a valid JDK.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com