Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:58:02 +0200
From:      Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   filesystem performance with lots of small files

Hi there,

I'm actually testing around with FreeBSD 6 BETA 3. Regarding stability=20
I'm really pleased, it runs and runs and runs :)
No problems on that front.
Back to the topic. I have a directory with several thousands (800k and=20
more) small files. UFS2 shows a pretty low performance. I don't have=20
numbers yet, but I'd like to know in advance wether there are tunable=20
parameters. I couldn't find any sysctl'=C2=B4s or kernel parameters.
I'll report numbers, as soon as I have them.
And yes, I disabled the debugging features in my kernel (WITNESS,=20
INVARIANTS ...)
Besides, I know that 6-BETA is not about performance at all :)

any tips on file system performance with small files, though ?

best regards,
Marian