Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:41:15 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW and PPP interface

I have recently set up a FreeBSD Firewall with a Cyclades PC300 card
connected to a PPP link to my ISP.

It seems that I cannot get IPFW to work (no doubt due to a lack of knowledge
of PPP and it's associated protocols).  I have used similar rulesets with
Ethernet NICs, no problem.

I've done an "ipfw add 5 allow lo all from any to any", and I see entries
like this in the log, which I suspect might have something to do with my
problem:

> /kernel: ipfw: 5 Accept P:88 209.212.118.85 224.0.0.10 in via hdlc0

Can anyone explain what P:88 is, and how to construct a rule to
accept/reject it?  Also, why is the destination address 224.0.0.10 - That's
a multicast address if I am not mistaken?

You can tell that I'm a little out of my depth here - any help would be much
appreciated.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.