Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:49:39 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2RC1 Read+Write data corruption (with SeagateBarracuda ATA V120G (ST3120023A) + VIA 8237)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:19:39 +0100 (CET)
Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk> wrote:

> It seems Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > > Hmm, there has been some trouble with a certain model of Seagate
> > > 40G drives (bad firmware) so that might be something you could
> > > look into, otherwise I have no idea...
> >
> > Any info on that ? After all, as log as it works on win I will have
> > to be very convincing to change it, if that is the case.
>
> Not really, check Seagate support if an update exist for your drive ?

Hmm... I assume that the 3.33 from ad0: <ST3120023A/3.33> is the
firmware revision, am I right ?

From:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/firmware_rev.html

ATA and Serial ATA (SATA) Hard Drives

There is no firmware available for our standard distribution ATA/SATA
drive models.

Firmware could possibly be changed if the drives were modified by an OEM
vendor, so this would be supported through the OEM vendor only.

Firmware only applies to OEM units for ATA/SATA models which are
supported by the OEM vendor, not Seagate.

I'm trying to install a slackware 9.1 to see if that work.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user