Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 2009 01:08:04 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malformed man pages

Sagara Wijetunga wrote:

[snip]

> We use /usr/bin/less from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/less, the
> less-382.tar.gz, unpatched.

Why?

> Does the less need to be patched in FreeBSD? If so, is there such a
> patch exist?

Uhmm, this may sound a little strange, but why not use the one included as
part of the system? In other words, there was no need to 'install' less.
Remove whatever you installed and use the right one. It even has a man page,
e.g., man less and you will see a man page for the included one unless
you've made a total mess of your man pages.

I suspect there may be a possibility of bringing "Linuxisms" to your
approach to FreeBSD. While there may be some amount of crossover, FreeBSD is
not Linux. Learn FreeBSD as if it were new to you and leave the Linuxisms
aside.

-Mike