Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:14:05 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenRC on FreeBSD

On 19/12/2018 14:57, Martin Wilke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The missing bit was actually the flag for switching the rc’s which have been resolved.
>
> - Martin
>
>> On 19 Dec 2018, at 10:51 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 7:39 AM Martin Wilke <miwi@freebsd.org <mailto:miwi@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'd like to reopen the discussion for OpenRC on FreeBSD. Basically this is the second attempt to get it into FreeBSD.
>>
>> I've opened a review here with a working patch for CURRENT,
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18578 <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18578>;
>>

>> To recap the discussion
>>      * First attempt of RFC in March of 2018: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2018-March/052358.html <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2018-March/052358.html>;
>>      * Working group at BSDCan: https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/201806/OpenRC <https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/201806/OpenRC>;
>>
>> Here some key points:
>>
>> OpenRC provides additional features for service management without requiring kernel changes or replacing pid 1, unlike launchd and other solutions.  All rc.d scripts have been converted with a few changes, typically changing the shebang and making sure the start function is named start(). Most service scripts are simplified, usually needing only name, command, and, if required, depends statements.
>>
>> History:
>> OpenRC started out as an init system by Roy Marples, developed for the Gentoo Alt (FreeBSD) kernel branch. It was more widely adopted into Gentoo as baselayout v2, and was then split off as a separate BSD-licensed project. It is under active development, portable, and remains BSD licensed today.
>>
>> OpenRC and RC:
>> Both can coexist and be chosen with a setting in /boot/loader.conf.
>>
>> OpenRC Features:
>>
>> Service supervision and service monitoring: any service can be supervised. Supervised services that crash are automatically restarted. The rc-status command shows how many times a service has restarted.
>>
>> Device hotplug support and event-driven service management: the hotplug feature allows devd to take actions when devices are connected. For example, a USB wifi adapter can create additional network services when attached. The net-online service can, for example, detect when a network connection is restored, and restart ntp.
>>
>> Network profiles: using stacked runlevels, different profiles can be established for different networking settings. For instance, different profiles can be used for wired or wireless networking, or for differing wireless networks, as well as dependency caching and parallel startup speed up booting.
>>
>> Interactive mode:
>> The boot process can be run interactively for more effective debugging.

> [...]

This would mean that we're going to need both OpenRC and rc.d versions
of init scripts in the ports for however long the transition period is.

How do you plan on managing that?  Will port maintainers be expected to
develop and test both flavours of init script?  Not all maintainers will
have ready access to build/test systems running CURRENT if that's where
OpenRC gets deployed initially.

Will both types of init script be added to every pkg, or will there be a
default per major version?  Will this change be MFC'd to 11.x / 12.x ?

Also, isn't this a prime candidate for the FCP treatment?

	Cheers,

	Matthew