Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        datadave@total.net (Dave Hoppe)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAT32 ??

Dave Hoppe wrote:
> To whom exactly it may concern ? :>
>             I have a diskette with FAT32 on it ,ready to install. This
> being my first problem. I have a Pentium 133 16EDO RAM, utilizing FAT
> 16??, not FAT32. I WANT to install FAT32, but ofcourse I do not have any
> knowledge on wether or not ,one can just go into DOS & install from
> there or wehter it is even a safe situation to bother installing FAT32 ?

I think you want to talk to a Windoze mailing list. BSD uses the UFS/FFS
(Unix File System/Fast File System), which is unrelated to FAT anything.

All I know is that FAT 32 is one of the alleged improvements in
Windoze 98.  No matter how you cut it, though, M$ FAT is still a floppy
disk file system used on hard drives. It will never give adequate
performance except for interactive single-user applications.

W-NT has already abandoned FAT-XX.

BSD can currently read and write FAT16, and may handle FAT32 in future,
but it's not for serious use under BSD. [BSD is a non-M$ related operating
system, not a Windoze program.]

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'