Date:      Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:46:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM question (QCAM question)

> Tiny change of subject here, but this is brought up now: the QuickCam
> driver was dropped out of -CURRENT do to "lack of interest"... well why?

I don't think anyone wanted to maintain it, and the usermode quickcam
stuff seemed to do everything that the kernel quickcam stuff did
without also crashing the system when you plugged a QuickCam VC (the
new color model) in.

> Many other things only have niche users, but are still here (things being
> drivers). I've already gotten the qcam driver to work perfectly on a 3.0
> system, so I could easily post all the code to remerge in. Failing that-as

Does that include the VC?  As I said before, having the system crash
because a novice user has plugged in a different model is not a recipe
for success when it comes to tech support, and if you're willing to
solve that problem as well (and no, I don't have a VC for you - I gave
that to the last guy who promised to fix this and have heard nothing
back since :) then I certainly have no objection to seeing it come
back.

- Jordan