Date:      31 Jan 2001 10:59:17 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Insecure ttys - Unable To Login

adamlau@yahoo.com (Adam Lau) writes:

> I set all ttys to "insecure" in /etc/ttys and now I canot log into my box. What
> can I do from here? (Should have used telnet to test password...)

That "problem" only applies to root.  Log in as a different user.

[Unless maybe you corrupted the file enough that it's not actually
recognizing the terminals at all.  In that case, you *will* need to
user single-user to restore the original.]

> Also, how do restart the box in single-user mode. I do not receive the Boot:
> screen where I am supposed to enter -s.

Quoting the handbook:
    Hit any key, other than Enter/Return, at the console to interrupt the boot
    process. The boot blocks will then prompt you for further action. You
    should now see something like:

        >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
        Default: 0:wd(0,a)/boot/loader
        boot: